If you are looking for Life Insurance for scuba diving then we are here to help.
Sports Financial Services was originally founded (over 20 years ago) as Summit Financial Services, providing Life Insurance for climbers, hillwalkers and mountaineers.
Over time we found that the walkers and climbers, that took cover with us, also enjoyed a mix of many other outdoor activities (e.g., scuba, caving, canoeing and skiing). As a result, we started working with, and developing an expertise in, an increasing number of outdoor activities.
So, whatever sporting activities you pursue, feel free to call to discuss cover for all your hazardous pursuits.
Our relationship with scuba diving started over 10 years ago when we started working with the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) and developed a service for their members (www.scuba-fs.co.uk).
Whatever your experience you can speak to us today about the availability of cover for your sport.
To include your scuba activities on a Life Insurance policy, underwriters will need to understand and assess a number of factors in relation to your health, lifestyle and type of sporting activities.
We’ll look at these later in this article.
Insurance company for scuba diving
As extreme sports specialist we work with you to investigate what cover is available to suit your needs.
Because we specialise in sport you can speak to us about cover for a wide array of sporting activities.
Whether you are learning to scuba dive, looking for a scuba diving experience or a seasoned diver you can speak to us about your needs.
We have experience of helping those who dive with scuba, fixed line, mixed gas or rebreathers.
We’ll want to discuss things like the number of dives you do per year, your maximum diving depth and any special types of diving activities you pursue. This could extend to special diving activities such as solo, wreck, cave, commercial or diving for occupational purposes (e.g., offshore oil/gas diving)
Can scuba divers get Life Insurance?
You can talk to us about different insurance options in relation to providing for a family or covering mortgage payments should an accident (or worse) happen.
We know about the challenges of extreme sports people looking for cover.
If you are concerned about cover for injury, accident, income, life or health then talk to us to discuss the options available for you.
How do I find out more about scuba diving insurance cover?
Whatever drives your interest in your sport – challenge, adventure, exercise, exploration, social connection, underwater photography, marine ecology or wreck exploration – we are here to discuss your protection needs.
As an outdoor sports specialist, we have developed knowledge and experience in providing financial protection for a wide range of extreme sports – so we can help save you time in finding financial protection for your needs.
Depending on the type of diving you pursue there may be loadings, restrictions or exclusions applied to certain types of cover.
Broadly, we specialise in three types of cover:
- Life Insurance – typically a lump sum to pay off a mortgage, debts or provide a for a family in the event of death.
- Critical Illness Cover – financial peace of mind in the event that you are diagnosed with a specific condition detailed in the policy. By including this type of cover a policy can be extended to provide a pay out as a result of being diagnosed with certain conditions that are defined in the policy.You can also discuss the availability of various pay-out options with us such as:
- Increasing cover – which takes into consideration the fact that inflation affects the future value of money
- Decreasing cover – a gradual lowering of cover to reflect a lower mortgage balance as a mortgage is paid off over time
- Level cover – the amount paid out remains level over the policy period
- Income Protection – if you are concerned that an accident or illness may prevent you from working for a period of time then an income protection policy maybe something to discuss with us
You can also take assurance that we work with the whole of market rather than being restricted to a captive or select number of products /services.
Getting into scuba diving
We have worked with the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) for over a decade (www.bsac.com) and you may find them a source of useful information for the following:
- Costs associated with learning to dive
- Learn to dive:
- Try scuba diving
- Best diving centre near you
- Top UK diving sites
- Training, online learning, e-learning & videos
- Skill development and progression courses
- Try Dive
- Ocean Diver
- Sports Diver
- Dive Leader
- Advanced Diver
- First Class Diver
- Additional diving skills
- Dive planning
- Boat handling
- First aid
- Life saving
- Finding a club or diving centre
- Information on the different types of equipment used by divers – for example:
- Scuba diving suit / wetsuit / dry suit
- Dive computer
- Scuba tank / cylinder
- Spare air tank
- Buoyancy compensator / scuba weights
To find out more contact:
British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC)
Telford’s Quay South Pier Road
+44 (0)151 350 6200
Would you like to discuss scuba diving insurance?
A specialist adviser here at Sports Financial Services will be pleased to discuss your financial protection needs and any restrictions that apply because of the range of activities you pursue.
The main types of protection that you may want to discuss with us include:
- Life Insurance
- Mortgage Protection
- Critical Illness Cover
- Income Protection
In addition, if you keep up a health regime and participate in a regular fitness plan, you may also want to speak to us about policies that monitor your fitness and reward you for keeping fit and healthy.
Scuba diving Life Insurance – some frequently asked questions:
To discuss the options available to you please call or contact us online to discuss the best deal we can offer you based on your sporting interests, lifestyle and needs.
We engage with many people who participate in a wide range of sports and are happy to discuss a range of questions, such as:
- Do I incur premium loadings because of my hazardous pursuits?
- Are there any restrictions to policies because of my sporting activities?
- Can I obtain Life Insurance because I scuba dive?
- Is Critical Illness Cover available for my outdoor pursuits?
- Because of my sporting activities can I obtain Income Protection?
How do I go about finding out more about Life Insurance for scuba diving?
If you enquire about cover with us, we will discuss a number of details in relation to you, your sport and your lifestyle.
As with any enquiry for this type of cover it is important that you declare several facts such as your occupation, lifestyle, medical, hazardous activities and other questions completely.
This will assist us in guiding you through our research process:
- A fact-find of your needs – discovering what you do and your particular needs
- Researching providers of cover and the availability of cover for the type of diving you pursue
- Contacting and liaising with insurers
- Discussing if there are any exclusions, loadings or restrictions as a result of the information you have disclosed (e.g., your health or diving activities)
- Discussing premium options, costs and payment terms.
In general, the availability of cover and premiums for cover are dependent on a range of factors such as health, occupation, type of scuba activities pursued, diving depth and your level of recreational or occupational participation.
Deciding on the amount of cover that is right for you can involve many factors such as the need to cover bills, mortgage payments or a lumpsum for a partner or family should the worst happen.
In choosing the duration over which you would like cover you may want to consider your life stage and the need to meet obligations such as providing for a family, meeting bill obligations or paying off a mortgage.
Through our long history of working with active outdoor sports participants we have built an expertise in many different outdoor sports and knowledge of working with insurers and their underwriters who provide cover for these sports.
What types of questions will I be asked when applying for scuba diving Life Insurance?
We will start with a personal fact-finding questionnaire to ascertain your needs and understand various aspect of your lifestyle, diving and other factors sought by underwriters, common questions could include:
- Current occupation
- Sport’s Governing Body membership (e.g., BSAC)
- Participation – one-off, hobby or professional participation
- Age, health and fitness to scuba dive
- Type of diving
Type of breathing apparatus (e.g., scuba, fixed line, mixed gas, rebreather)
- Number of dives per year
- Maximum diving depth
- Diving qualifications (e.g., BSAC)
- Participation in specialist diving activities (e.g., solo, wreck, cave, ice, deep sea)
- Technical diving / rebreather
- Commercial work or diving for occupational purposes (e.g., offshore oil/gas diving)
- Professional and / or instructional work
- National or international participation (UK, Europe and/or worldwide)
- Current income (for an enquiry for Income Protection)
A more specific list of questions will be based on your individual participation but could include, for example, your:
- Lifestyle (e.g., alcohol consumption, exercise and smoking)
- Current employment or occupation
- Employment location (e.g., UK, Europe and/or worldwide)
- Height (ft/cm)
- Weight (lb/kg)
- Health, well-being and any pre-existing medical conditions
In addition, as part of your enquiry, we will also discuss with you the duration and amounts required, including:
- The amount of financial protection you require (£)
- The length of policy you require (number of years years)
- The type of policy you require (e.g., increasing, decreasing or level term)
A combination of your activities, lifestyle, personal health, recreation, occupation and other factors, such as those detailed above, will assist in the determination the options that will be available to you and the associated premiums.
Can you still help me if I already have Life Insurance, Income Protection or Critical Illness policy in place for scuba diving?
Even if you have a policy in place elsewhere, we will still be happy to hear from you.
Even if this is only to provide you with the peace of mind of knowing that your cover and premiums are comparable with current market products.
What if I run a business but enjoy extreme sports?
For those who operate a Limited Company or operate at Director level then you may want to consider discussing different cover options with us, such as Key Person Insurance, Relevant Life Insurance or Shareholder Protection.
Next steps: what can I expect when I make an enquiry about cover for scuba diving?
You can be assured that the team at Sports Financial Services take pride in providing those who enjoy hazardous pursuits with:
- Your own specialist adviser to discuss your needs, your lifestyle, your personal circumstances, your sport and the options available to you
- Experienced advisers in hazardous pursuits, extreme sports and hazardous occupations
Personal service and a quick response to your questions
- A Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) authorised company
- An easy application process conducted around your life and at contact times that suit you
If you would like to find out more about the benefits of cover for hazardous pursuits or occupations then please call and speak to an experienced adviser today for a free, no-obligation quote, on 0345 565 0935.
Or, if you would like to enquire online, please click the link above and complete the online form.
As a hazardous, extreme and adventure sport specialist we exist to help those who enjoy adventurous pursuits to find cover that is suitable for their needs.