If you are scanning the horizon for Life Insurance for sailing activities then we are here to help.
Sports Financial Services was originally founded, over 20 years ago, as Summit Financial Services (www.summit-fs.co.uk) to provide Life Insurance for climbers, hillwalkers and mountaineers.
Over time we discovered, through word of mouth, that there were many other active outdoor sports people looking for cover for different outdoor sports (e.g., sailing, scuba, caving, canoeing, skiing and skydiving).
As a result, we developed Sports Financial Services, to expand our scope and offer financial protection for a wider range of extreme outdoor sports participants.
Such engagement with active outdoor enthusiasts has allowed us to develop the knowledge to assist many, who enjoy outdoor sports, to find financial protection to suit their needs.
To include your sailing activities on a Life Insurance policy, underwriters will also need to understand and assess a number of factors in relation to your wider health, lifestyle, sports participation and occupation.
We’ll look at these types of questions later in this article.
Insurance company for sailing
As extreme sports specialist we work with you to investigate what cover options are available to suit your needs.
We are happy to discuss the cover options that are available for a range of water-based activities such as:
- Canal boating
- Dinghy sailing
- Motor boat cruising
- Offshore sailing
- Don’t worry if you don’t see your activity above. Because we specialise in sport you can speak to us about options for a wide array of sporting activities – just contact us to discuss your needs with one of our experts.
Life Insurance options for sailing
You can talk to us about different insurance options in relation to you providing for a family or covering mortgage payments should an accident (or worse) happen.
If you are concerned about cover for injury, accident, income, life or health then talk to us to discuss the options available for you.
How do I find out more about sailing insurance cover?
Whatever drives your interest in sailing – skill, challenge, adventure, exercise, exploration or social connection – we are here to discuss your protection needs.
As outdoor sports specialists, we have developed knowledge and experience in providing financial protection for a wide range of extreme sports – so we can help save you time in finding financial protection to meet your needs.
Broadly, we specialise in three types of cover:
- Life Insurance – typically a lump sum to pay off a mortgage, debts or provide a for a family in the event of death.
- Critical Illness Cover – financial peace of mind in the event that you are diagnosed with a specific condition detailed in the policy.
- Income Protection – if you are concerned that an accident or illness may prevent you from working for a period of time then an Income Protection policy maybe something to discuss with us
Depending on the type of water sports you pursue there may be loadings, restrictions or exclusions applied to certain types of cover.
You can also take assurance that we work with the whole of market rather than being restricted to a captive or select number of products /services.
In addition, if you keep up a health regime and participate in a regular fitness plan, you may also want to speak to us about policies that monitor your fitness and reward you for keeping fit and healthy.
Sailing Life Insurance – some frequently asked questions:
To discuss the options available to you please call or contact us online to discuss the best deal we can offer you based on your sport, lifestyle and needs.
Our regular engagement with people who participate in many sports means that we are happy to discuss a range of questions, such as:
- Do I incur premium loadings because of my sailing activities?
- Are there any restrictions to policies because of the activities I pursue?
- Can I obtain Life Insurance because of my sports, occupation and lifestyle?
- Is Critical Illness Cover available for my sporting pursuits?
- Because of my sport activities can I obtain Income Protection?
What is the process of applying for Life Insurance for sailing?
If you enquire about cover with us, we will discuss a number of details in relation to you, your sport and your lifestyle.
As with any enquiry for this type of cover it is important that you declare information about your occupation, lifestyle, pre-existing medical conditions, hazardous activities and other questions completely.
- This will assist us in guiding you through the journey of applying for cover:
- A fact-find of your needs – discovering what you do and your particular needs
- Researching providers of cover and the availability of cover for the type of sailing you pursue
- Contacting and liaising with insurers
- Discussing if there are any exclusions, loadings or restrictions as a result of the information you have disclosed (e.g., your health or sailing activities)
- Discussing premium options, costs and payment terms.
In general, the availability of cover and premiums for cover are dependent on a range of factors such as personal health, family history, lifestyle, occupation and type of sporting activities pursued.
Deciding on the amount of cover that is right for you can involve many factors such as the need to cover bills, mortgage payments or a lumpsum for a partner or family should the worst happen.
In choosing the duration over which you would like cover you may want to consider your life stage and the need to meet obligations such as providing for a family, meeting bill obligations or paying off a mortgage.
Through our long history of working with active outdoor sports participants we have built an expertise in many different outdoor sports and knowledge of working with insurers and underwriters who provide cover for these sports.
What types of questions will I be asked when applying for sailing Life Insurance?
We will start with a personal fact-finding questionnaire to ascertain your needs and understand various aspect of your lifestyle, sailing and other factors sought by underwriters.
Common questions could include:
- Current occupation
- Employment in sailing industry (e.g., yacht crew / yacht delivery crew)
- Sport’s Governing Body membership (e.g., RYA)
- Participation – recreational or professional participation
- Age, health and fitness to sail
- Type of sailing activities
- Type of boat
- Location of sailing activities (e.g., inshore canals rivers or lakes / offshore UK waters, international waters or transoceanic travel)
- Frequency of participation
- Pleasure or racing
- Duration of participation (single day or multiday events)
- Participation in sailing competitions and challenge events
- Participating alone or as part of a crew (number of crew members)
- Sailing qualifications
- License, qualifications, background and experience
- Professional and / or instructional work
- National or international participation (UK, Europe and/or worldwide)
- Current income (for an enquiry for Income Protection)
A more specific list of questions will be based on your individual participation but could include, for example, your:
- Lifestyle (e.g., alcohol consumption, exercise and smoking)
- Current employment or occupation
- Employment location (e.g., UK, Europe and/or worldwide)
- Height (ft/cm)
- Weight (lb/kg)
- Health, well-being and any pre-existing medical conditions
In addition, as part of your enquiry, we will also discuss with you the duration and amounts required, including:
- The amount of financial protection you require (£)
- The length of policy you require (number of years years)
- The type of policy you require (e.g., increasing, decreasing or level term)
A combination of your activities, lifestyle, personal health, recreation, occupation and other factors, such as those detailed above, will assist in the determination the options that will be available to you and the associated premiums.
Can you still help me if I already have Life Insurance, Income Protection or Critical Illness policy in place for sailing?
Even if you have a policy in place elsewhere, we will still be happy to hear from you.
Even if this is only to provide you with the peace of mind of knowing that your cover and premiums are comparable with current market products.
What if I run a business but enjoy extreme sports?
For those who operate a Limited Company or operate at Director level then you may want to consider discussing different cover options with us, such as Key Person Insurance, Relevant Life Insurance or Shareholder Protection.
Next steps: what can I expect when I make an enquiry about cover for sailing?
You can be assured that the team at Sports Financial Services take pride in providing those who enjoy hazardous pursuits with:
- Your own specialist adviser to discuss your needs, your lifestyle, your personal circumstances, your sport and the options available to you
- Experienced advisers in hazardous pursuits, extreme sports and hazardous occupations
- Personal service and a quick response to your questions
- A Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) authorised company
- An easy application process conducted around your life and at contact times that suit you
If you would like to find out more about the benefits of cover for hazardous pursuits or occupations then please call and speak to an experienced adviser today for a free, no-obligation quote, on 0345 565 0935.
Or, if you would like to enquire online, please click the link above and complete the online form.
As a hazardous, extreme and adventure sport specialist we exist to help those who enjoy adventurous pursuits to find cover that is suitable for their needs.